Saturday, May 11, 2013

The Ride

Oddly enough, how one arrives at the banquet has assumed disproportionate importance. A simple car is not enough to impress. Around here one tries for an old classic. It's equivalent to a limousine.







 But a really old pick-up is just as good, something your great-grandfather drove to Texas on Route 66.









Of course if you don't have something old you can go with shiny, new, expensive wheels...




or, speaking of expensive, drive your date to the banquet in the cab of a really large piece of farm
machinery that's worth a house...and of course you must be willing to put in the time to scrub and polish it a little. At any rate, it will be ready for the season.
Every year they seem to get bigger...and for farmers' sons, big is no problem. Cotton strippers or combines, these large, green carriages get everyone's attention.



but I think my favorite ride was the one chosen by Tweedle-Dum and Tweedle-Dee.
It's somehow perfect for the Topsy-Turvey world inside... and I think I'll show you pictures of the other characters in my next blog post. I don't have time to let them all load tonight.







(I didn't take these pictures. They were taken by Julie B.)

No comments: