Saturday, May 17, 2008

Turtle

We were all sitting around the kitchen talking and I asked my husband what he wanted me to call him on my blog. He suggested "Turtle", and everybody agreed, so that's what I'll call him.

However, I do have one reservation. Let me hereby declare to the world, that I did not acquire him because I have a turtle collection.

Here's the true story. When we got married, Turtle was appalled to discover that I didn't collect anything at all. It was somehow un-American, uncivilized, and utterly unnatural for someone not to have a collection. He had, at the time, a stamp collection, rock collection, record collection, and a boy scout badge collection. Since then he has added several collections, most of which involve books, bees, bows, bikes, or boats in some form or another. Well, I was a new bride and in order to please this man, I told him I would collect turtles, because I already had an onyx one. Well, you know what happened. Everybody started giving me turtles. Now I have a real collection.

Several years later, Turtle joined a church camping fraternity. He had to have a name to put on the stick thing that identifies each wild, buckskinner of a man's tent, so he chose "Bellowing Turtle". He does bellow at times...and he is a little slow, particularly when we are all trying to leave for a camping trip or something, so the name stuck.

Now, I guess he is stuck with the name in Blogville. Way to be famous, Turtle!

3 comments:

Carina said...

We really need a great logo for him of a bellowing turtle.

Anonymous said...

Hahahahah :)Michelle:)

aftergrace said...

Maybe you didn't collect things because you moved so often...anyway tell"turtle" that the cuz says "hi".