Friday, April 18, 2008

Composition


"Compose thyself!" she muttered quietly, and tried to stop her fingers from jumping madly all over the computer keyboard.

"If you insist on composing without thinking, you will be left with only little tatters of dependent clauses, all leaning haphazardly against one weak verb-subject frame. Is it then so important that you get the prompt pounded and stretched and shaped into some semblance of a blog entry before you go to work? It's Friday. It's five o'clock in the morning. Most people are sleeping. Or drinking coffee with brown sugar and hazelnut creamer and slowly coming to grips with the reality of the day."

But I see the situation looks hopeless. If I were a gardener I'd be hacking at the soil to make a soft spot, planting new lilacs, burying them snuggly between the roots of last years decomposing wild roses; if I were a cook, I'd be sprinkling garlic salt onto an omelet, composed of golden eggs, green bell peppers, and sweet, yellow onions; if a musician, composing, with narrow intensity, one smile-giving, newborn motif, walking it up and down the piano keys, feeling where it finds the freedom to break out into forte. Instead I spew forth words, no matter that my composition will only be fit for the compost, food for tomorrows posts.

Composer, compose thyself."

The Sunday Scribblings Prompt was "Compose"

17 comments:

anthonynorth said...

It is what we do.
And so frustrating some times. But even that can be marvellous.

Pirate Princess said...

Ah, my sentiments last week. :)

This brought a smile to my face - not the compost my dear, unless left there to fertilize richers ideas! ;)

Carina said...

To the compost as fertilized...that's a great way to think of it. Since most of my ideas end in that great pit, it gives me hope.

Granny Smith said...

Ha! Why do you think we all wake up early on Friday morning? Only now it's Friday afternoon and I have just whipped my post into more or less the shape of this week's prompt.

Your post is cleverly worded, as usual.

Sherry said...

Delightful...and I love "composer, compose thyself"!!

GreenishLady said...

Oh, but this post is not fit for "compost". That final paragraph is wonderful indeed - a truly great composition.

Linda Jacobs said...

Wow, your images pop! Very fresh! Really, it's prose poetry!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! Just how I feel. And you type with more than one finger! That is impressive.

paisley said...

i am guilty... i often send myself into an absolute panic trying to perfect something before i walk out the door... great post!!

aftergrace said...

Not fit for the compost, this is too good.

awareness said...

Ah! The compost is food for growing thoughts and creations!

I can totally relate to the frustrations you touch on....writing can be a big wrestling match!

Annie Jeffries said...

Made me happy. Made me laugh. keep mixing those words.

Cynthia said...

Wow, great writing!

Anonymous said...

What a great composition! And definitely not for the compost!!! Well done.

Tammy Brierly said...

Very creative and I loved that last line. Nothing for the compost here! ;)

Tumblewords: said...

I'm laughing - you write so well - love the omelet composition and the composting comparisons. Wonderful!

Jo Anne O. said...

Great use of comparison to other things like gardening, cooking, etc...definitely not for the compost!