Sunday, April 13, 2008

Senior Recital

I guess I'll call him Elijah because in singing he reminds me of the prophet. (Not that Elijah ever wore a tux, but his booming voice surely rang out fearlessly over the hills of Judea.) Last night we, the family and friends, sat at the music hall in room 101, and listened to our son's senior recital. And we were proud of him.

The song is an Italian one, taken from the opera, Le Nozze di Figaro, by Mozart. In this part the Count Almaviva is scolding the court page after having consigned him to military duty. He is also explaining to the spoiled young man what his new life will be and won't be like in the army.

I've heard "Elijah" practicing through the years, so the piece was familiar to me. In the background, playing the grand, is his voice instructor. They both did a marvelous job. Elijah sang a dozen songs in German, Italian, French, and finally, English. His voice was tired when it was all over, but he made it through this milestone and was thrilled that he may now resume his regular chess matches with another one of his professors--there had been a moratorium on them until after this senior recital--and spend a little more time relaxing with songs that require less thought, and with pursuits that are less stressful.




I'm going to post another couple of clips. The first is in German (Die beiden Grenadiere) and the second in English. It is from a Shakespearian poem, but of course you'll recognize that from all the hey nonny nonnys.

I know that's a lot of video if you don't know him...but hey. Family reads this blog too, and many of them live too far away to attend, so I guess it's a proud mom's privilege.
Enjoy.





6 comments:

aftergrace said...

Thank you for sharing bits Elijah's concert. He has such a beautiful voice. I wish I could have been there in person, alas I am one of the many parts of the family that lives too far away. Maybe next time...

Anonymous said...

Uncle is glad that you put these up, and just loved it.

Lilibeth said...

The entire recital was supposed to be recorded, but, due to a glitch, I think they only got the first three songs. sniff.

Carina said...

I'm so proud of my baby brother!

He's definitely the best singer of my acquaintance, but I may be a tad prejudiced.

Johanna said...

He's really great! I wish we could have been there.

Annie Jeffries said...

Definitely a mom's privilege. I did the same thing when my son performed HIS senior recital a few years ago. Bragging rights are ours. Congratulations to your son for his achievement.