Saturday, March 22, 2008

My Cup of Tea

Why can’t everybody be just like me?

We wouldn’t have nasty spinach; it would be considered a weed.
Music playing everywhere a la Beethoven, Mendelssohn, Grieg.

There wouldn’t be gyms for basketball, just roller skating rinks,
And lots of meandering nature trails, but only in town, I think,with resting stations every mile-- clean, iced water to drink.

We would all get up in the morning, by seven on holidays.
In the early evening, we’d say goodnight and go our separate ways.

Nobody would stay out after eleven, on those dark and dangerous streets.
Nobody would climb Mount Everest;
There would be no boxing meets.
We would all enjoy the poetry of Tennyson and Keats.

Computers would be everywhere, each person would have his own.
Nobody would waste time with TV; nobody would answer the phone.

There’d be a plethora of house plants, and scheduled time to read.
Rooms piled high with mystery books, and an occasional biography,
And maybe a little Gothic romance, if the era was Regency.

No crowds, no noise, no shopping malls, no traffic, no large cities.
No stinky ferrets, no anacondas, no allergy causing kitties.

If everybody were like me, I think we’d have no wars.
There would be no need for borders; nor locked and bolted doors.
We’d all be happy with what was ours; we wouldn’t be needing yours.

Sigh.

But then again.

Would we have any “what was ours” without the great explorers
The reckless and the fearless ones, the "peace and quiet" deplorers,

The policemen, the inventors, the sellers and the buyers,
People who can change the oil, and air up all the tires,
Farmers and Ranchers, Risk-takers and Try-ers?

Hmmm.

It’s interesting to ponder over what the world would be.
If nobody were like you, my Dear, and everyone were like me.



Our Sunday Scribblings Prompt was: I Just Don't Get It.

16 comments:

Carina said...

I'd be perfectly happy in your little world I think, but you're right, there'd be a lot out there that never happened.

paisley said...

whereas i have no desire to bej ust like you... i was wondering how you would feel about being just like me instead???

isn't it funny ,, how individually we all have a corner on it,, but as a unit we cant accomplish a thing.....

Anonymous said...

It would certainly be different and I probably wouldn't be writing this now!

Devil Mood said...

hehe
I'm glad because there's so many things you mentioned that you like and I don't and that you don't and I do lol
I'm glad we're all so different, yet the same :)

Anonymous said...

I don't like the sound of being up by seven and indoors by 11! I'm quite glad the rest of the world isn't like me, I like being unique (although I'm probably not as unique as I think)!

Gemma Wiseman said...

What a fun posting! But it is funny how, when some things are taken away, so much more is lost!

Individual differences suddenly seem to make like so interesting!

Gemma

Anonymous said...

I do like your rhyming!

watered down

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the way you handled this ... but don't like most of what you do ... no spinach, good grief ;)

Robin said...

A fun post. A bit problematic to implement, since everyone's lists would be in conflict, but fun to daydream about your ideal world all the same.

GreenishLady said...

I enjoyed this a lot. But I couldn't live without the Beatles, and I wouldn't like to give up spinach, and even though I get itchy nose around cats, I'd hate to make my sister give up hers, and I just know I'd fall down as soon as I tried to roller-skate, and I'm grumpy early in the morning, and .... I think I'd rather be just like me, thank you! Vive la difference!

Lilibeth said...

Please, readers, the point is that if everybody were alike it would not really be an ideal world. The poem is satire. I realize that if everybody were just like me there would be no computers even. It takes all kinds of people to make the world that I like. People love to complain about others and their strange ways; we want everybody to see things our way...but what kind of world would that be, really. That's the point I was trying to make.

Christy Woolum said...

Very thoughtful post. I couldn't agree with you more about war,boxing, house plants, and books. Maybe they should put us in charge of the world! Happy Easter!

Tammy Brierly said...

This post made me smile. It takes all kinds to make life grand...thank you!

HAPPY EASTER!

Tumblewords: said...

Laughing. I've already decided we can't all do the same thing. Great post!

Pirate Princess said...

I love the irony, and your rhyming! Wonderfully done... :D It reminds me of the quote from Robin Hood, Prince of Theives, "Allah loves great variety."

anthonynorth said...

Loved this. Very Whimsical :-)

My father had a saying: If we all walked the same way, we'd never meet anyone.