Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Light Dawns

Thirteen Quotes about Morning
from LOTR

Thursday Thirteen

Alright, so I'll admit it: I read Lord of the Rings. That's present tense, because I re-read it so often. No, I'm not really a fantasy genre fan--mystery is more to my liking--but I absolutely adore beauty in descriptive phrases, and these are abundant, nay, spilling over, in anything written by Tolkien. Here are some of my favorite descriptions of "Morning"


1. The sun got up, the clouds vanished, flags were unfurled and the fun began.

2. It was a pale morning: In the East, behind long clouds like lines of soiled wool stained red at the edges, lay glimmering deeps of yellow.

3. The light of a clear autumn morning was now glowing in the valley. The noise of bubbling waters came up from the foaming river-bed. Birds were singing and a wholesome peace lay on the land.









4. It was a cold chill hour before the first stir of dawn,
and the moon was low. *


5. In the morning he woke to find that the rain had stopped. The clouds were still thick, but they were breaking, and pale strips of blue appeared between them.


6. He walked along the terraces above the loud-flowing Bruinen and watched the pale, cool sun rise above the far mountains and shine down, slanting through the thin silver mist; the dew upon the yellow leaves was glimmering, and the woven nets of gossamer twinkled on every bush.






7. The day came like fire and smoke. Low in the East there were black bars of cloud like the fumes of a great burning.
The rising sun lit them from beneath with flames of murky red;
but soon it climbed above them into a clear sky.

8. They woke to find a cool sun shining into the great court, and on to the floor of the bay. Shreds of high cloud were overhead, running on a stiff easterly wind.

9. The rising sun was hazy, and behind it, following it slowly up out of the sky, there was a growing darkness as of a great storm moving out of the East.

10. The light came grey and pale and they did not see the rising of the sun. The air above was heavy with fog and a reek lay on the land about them.

11. Day came and the fallow sun blinked over the lifeless ridges of Ered Lithui.

12. So soon they struggled on once more until the dawn began to spread slowly in the wide grey solitude.

13. And the Shadow departed, and the Sun was unveiled, and light leaped forth; and the waters of Anduin shone like silver, and in all the houses of the City men sang for the joy that welled up in their hearts from what source they could not tell












All quotes are taken from The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King, by J.R.R. Tolkien, Houghton Mifflin Company, Boston, The Riverside Press Cambridge,Copyright 1965.

* Sunrise through Fog Shrouded Trees by Don Moorcroft

29 comments:

rebecca said...

I have all four Tolkien classics in very worn condition. I, too, have read them many times. He's one of my favorite writers and I have always found his prose to be so beautifully descriptive.

I'm with you here, Lilibeth!

aftergrace said...

Very nice, love the photos, too.

The Gal Herself said...

I haven't read these books but I feel like I have because my cousin Rosemary is SUCH a fan! I'll have to send her this link. I know she'd love the photos, too. Beautiful post. (And thanks for visiting my TT)

pussreboots said...

Lovely TT. I like how you incorporated the photos to illustrate the passages. Happy TT.

SJ Reidhead said...

Is there a morning? I am SO not a morning person.

SJR
The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Lilibeth said...

Well sj, I'll have to do a post about all his evening passages...there are more of them even.

anthonynorth said...

As long as I can open my eyes in a morning, it's always beautiful :-)

Anonymous said...

Such an inspirational post with beautiful pictures! I really enjoyed this! Thanks for visiting!

Anonymous said...

I like the way you have interspersed the quotes with those lovely photos.

I have to say I have tried to read the LOTR many times but have always given up. I just don't get what people see in it.

Susan Demeter said...

This is a lovely post I enjoyed the photos and the quotes :)

Carina said...

Reminds me why I love mornings so much.

All the promise....

pjazzypar said...

These are beautiful photos. Thanks for sharing and Happy TT.

SandyCarlson said...

No. 13 thrills my heart.

Anonymous said...

oh so beautiful
Thank You!

Open Grove Claudia said...

I do love Lord of the Rings! Hurray for all the descriptions of morning. It almost makes you wish everyone have 25 years to write a book!

Happy TT!

Bethany said...

I could never get into the books, but those are really awesome quotes! I love the pictures...wow! Especially the last one! :D

Thanks for visiting, Happy TT!

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

I love, love, love how you captured these perfectly with the pictures! Tolkien was indeed a wordsmith ~ I'm a sucker for a great, descriptive writer!

Robin said...

Wonderful quotes, so beautifully crafted.

I too have read all four books many times, and find something new in them each time.

Unknown said...

Great list. The pictures an added bonus. Happy T13!

Anonymous said...

Great list, I love LOTR! Happy TT.

Jae Rose said...

Hi Lilibeth - what a wonderful post. I never read LOTR as a child but am recently catching up..'The Hobbit' has been sitting on a chair for months..now I know for sure I am going to read it..Happy Easter to you..Jae :)

Understanding Alice said...

All lovely - thank you :)

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

all the images shine here,
so do your words.

bless you.

Old Egg said...

Your selection of quotes and pictures where truly inspired. What a great post!

linda may said...

The quotes and the images are magical. I haven't read any of the books.

Meryl said...

I LOVED this post. What a great idea. I too love just savoring the words.

As a teacher every week I had my kids bring back and share their favorite descriptive sentence of the week. This reminds me of that.

Love it,
Meryl

Altonian said...

The Hobbit; Lord of the Rings; Silmarillion - all wonderful literature, and your beautiful pictures and examples of Middle Earth mornings just superb. Look forward to seeing your effort on evenings.

Wendy said...

Have you ever read "Thirteen Ways of Looking at a Blackbird" by Wallace Stevens? It's a lovely exercise and a lovely poem that reminds me of your thirteen mornings. Cheers!

Cynthia M said...

what a gorgeous collection of images and quotes...thankyou :)