Saturday, February 23, 2008

Passion


This was our Sunday Scribblings prompt word of the week. At first I didn't think I could write about it at all. After all, on Saturday I never feel very passionate about anything. That's the morning when I wake up at the usual time, smile and remember that I didn't have to set the alarm last night and I could sleep for hours if I wanted to. Then I get up, of course, because I love being up early when I don't have to be. On Saturdays I play and loaf and do laundry in between. My kids are home from college, my grandkids come to visit in the evening and bring their parents. My parents call, or I call them. Today, I'll probably go work out up at the gym. I'll play something fierce like "Flying Dutchman" or "O Fortuna" as I slog away on the treadmill. I'll e-mail my sister, and challenge all my relatives to a round of herd a word on facebook. In short, I have a very unpassionate day planned and I like it that way. I'm passionate about it. When my husband used to work in the operating room, people would ask him if it was an exciting job, almost as if that would be one of the perks. He always responded that He hoped not. You don't want excitement in the operating room, you want calm success.
That's what I want today, calm enjoyment of all the people I love so passionately.

P.S. Tonight, when my two grandchildren were over, Zaya and I were sitting at the bar. He finished a bite of chicken and said: "This chicken is so good; it's juicy and tastes kind of fruity. Like acorns. Do you know if you squeeze an acorn you will get acorn juice and it's so good too."


12 comments:

paisley said...

the less excitement the better for me as of late... where as once i thrived on passion and excitement... today i am contented,, if nothing more in doing little bits of nothing.....

myrtle beached whale said...

It is hard not to feel passionate about those little guys.

Devil Mood said...

You are passionate after all :)

Shammi said...

"Then I get up, of course, because I love being up early when I don't have to be."

That describes me literally to the T! :)

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I woke earlier than the Tour Manager and thought about getting up and having the house to myself for a bit.

But I only thought about it. Laziness won out; I don't get to be lazy often.

However, I know whereof you speak!

Lifeless in Ohio said...

I guess I don't see passion as necessarily something that requires great movement, only committment

aftergrace said...

The best days are ones where one does things for the sheer reason of not having to. I love those slow, easy mornings. Glad to hear K is doing better. Still praying for those peepers.

Anonymous said...

You're passion showed through - lovely post, thank you!

Robin said...

What a lovely thing to feel passionate about.

Tumblewords: said...

Except for the laundry - grin. All passion producers. Gotta love those little voices that tell you such marvelous news - acorn juice. Wow!

Anonymous said...

Calm weekends, spending time with family is always the passion their is. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Anonymous said...

Living Life the way you want, making your days as effortless or as simple as possible is meaningful and valuable. It doesn't mean their passionless, in fact to me, that is living with passion! Thank you for sharing!