Tuesday, January 29, 2008

13 Colors I Won't Paint My Bathroom in the Near Future

Thursday Thirteen #2

About three times a year, I wonder what it would be like to have bold colors on the walls of the house. Designers do it. All the time. So they say. (I don't even dream that audaciously, but I once painted a bathroom in bright teal. Granted, it was a teensy, tiny bathroom, but I think for bravery it counts.)
So if you had a bathroom that needed paint, would you try any of these big, bold colors with the names that required a full-time color inventing and naming professional to create? If you go online and visit painting centers, you can actually try their paint colors by applying them to a mock bathroom, complete with suggestions for agreeable second colors. I decided to scope it out. Hang on for a wild ride as we view bona fida paint swatches. Oh the joy of living dangerously!

I'll begin with a color close to my normal taste in rooms.
It's called Pinkish. Maybe because that's what it is.
It doesn't even merit the "blush" or "morning sky with
the sun coming up and reflecting on the clouds below
pink" label. Just Pinkish.

















Now we get wild. Look at this one.
It's called Gutsy Grape.

















Note the subtle difference as the walls change
to Fabulous Grape.
















Then shift to a blue, but not just any old blue.
This one is called Rainstorm.
















Not that you'd want it to be too rainy in the bathroom.
Maybe we'd better check out a few greens.
Here's one called Pickle.

















And right beside it on the color chart is the color Dill.
Seems like we're scraping the bottom of the
name barrel for these.

















Of course neither of these measures up to the
lush green of Paradise. I'm afraid this one
is a little too lime for me, more like the color of
a serpent in paradise, or at least a lizard.
















Now for the opposite extreme.
Here's one called Smokehouse.
So why would you want a bathroom
painted in smokehouse?


















However if you like brown bathrooms check this one.
It's called Grounded. Probably after coffee--
you'd be surprised how many different browns
are named after coffee-- Java, or Kaffee, or Latte.
Well, I just imagine someone sitting in the bathroom
sulking because they've been grounded.


















Now this one is more like what one should
do in a bathroom. It's called Meditative.


















At least it's a quiet blue. Not like this one,
loftily called The Grand Canal, but certainly
not looking the color of any canal I've ever
seen, grand or not.

















This gold color is called Brittlebush. Yikes! If someone makes a smokehouse in here they'd better not be too meditative or they'll start a fire that neither rainstorm nor the grand canal will extinguish. And I fear they will be grounded, or at least in a pickle and expelled from Paradise with a pinkish posterior.



















So what's my absolutely most awful suggestion
for a bathroom color. This one.
It's appropriately called STOP. So I will.




17 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Maybe I'm nuts. I love them all, especially the reddest of the purples! Great job. Magic to me.

Susan Demeter said...

Hehehe my bathroom is currently painted very similar to Brittlebush :)

ellen b. said...

Now I would try Dill, smokehouse, grounded and brittlebush...

Anonymous said...

That last one is positively scary! I like some of the blues but blue is too cold a colour for a bathroom.

Open Grove Claudia said...

I'm fascinated here. People like such different colors. We've been painting a lot of yellow at our house. I don't think any of these colors are bad - just bright. Good for you for branching out!

Happy TT!

On a Limb with Claudia

Natalie said...

I like a lot of them!

Anonymous said...

I kind of like the browns. With the right accessories these could be very cool! So, which one did you choose? Blessings, Cricket

SJ Reidhead said...

I have that lime green in my guest bedroom and bath. It is like white! My antique furniture looks incredible with it, almost tropical, lush. You can use practically ANY primary color as a decorator color with it. Red, hot pink, turquoise, teal (no greens), white, yellow - you name it.

I love the shade and recommend anyone with a little color courage to try it.

SJR
The Pink Flamingo

aftergrace said...

Well, being the blue girl that I am, I like #10 the best. Meditative is a good name for a bathroom color. I'm trying to get our bathroom painted, but Mark, and I can't agree on a color. I want something blue, and he wants something mocha. It'll stay moldy white for a long time, I guess.

Lilibeth said...

Well, if the truth be told I actually like rainstorm and brittlebush....but I hate the last one, and I think smokehouse and dill look dingy.

Anonymous said...

Wow. Just Wow.

Stop is kinda scary.

Carina said...

I don't know if I would ever have the nerve, but I like rainstorm. All the white beadboard helps.

Johanna said...

I really like rainstorm. I'll have to show Peter and see what he thinks. We've been trying to decide what to paint our bathroom.

Unknown said...

I would give some of them a try, but the last one....STOP, would kill my eyes and would not make me comfortable in the bathroom...great list idea.

~*angelle*~ said...

Ooh! I like Rainstorm, Pickle, Dill, The grand Canal. But I like definie color for walls. I have a bluish lavendar on my living room and hall walls, a teal in the kitchen and a bright hello kitty/barbie kind of pink in the one bathroom (the pink was kind of an accident. I had something softer in mind but once it was, it was and we decided to go with it so I really have a Hello Kitty bathroom. It's kind of fabulous actually.)

my journal

Joyismygoal said...

that is so funny I liked most of them except maybe pickle:>

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

What a clever TT!

I liked the first grape the best, I think. But would I paint my bathroom in it? I'm not sure. Probably not.

Well, not without professional help, anyway -- and yes, take that any way you'd like to.