Saturday, June 13, 2009

Courage


One of my facebook friends--and this is a real person, a daughter-in-law to one of our parishioners--was involved in a sudden industrial accident which took her right hand and part of her arm. We got the call three nights ago, late. Turtle went to stay with our friends while they waited for news from Colorado, where the surgery was taking place. In a time like this, when you want to be there comforting the family and holding the little one--who doesn't know what is happening but frets because she feels all the tension--it helps to have friends who come pray with you.

I could not reach her, miles away, to stand silently in hospital; nor could I offer to keep the little girl, or bring a pumpkin cake. So I went down to the local blood drive and donated a pint of blood. I know. I know. This is Oklahoma blood, and she took Colorado...but at a time like this it helps to give.

She's going to be fine, because she has exceptional courage and an attitude that says, "It happened. It's not the end of the world. Let me dress myself. I want to look at artificial limbs and start learning how to use them." Not every young wife and mother would have responded so stoically. Still, I'll keep praying for her, because the day may come when, for a moment, she will feel overwhelmed. You pray too. Her name is Amanda.

3 comments:

Carina said...

I can't imagine my own little ones trying to understand that kind of thing. We're praying for her and them.

aftergrace said...

Prayers for Amanda and her family. You are right, it is hard to be so far away when bad things happen to our loved ones. I think the blood donation was a good idea. It's an inspiration for the rest of us.

Dee Martin said...

You got prayers. We say often, that prayer is all we can do like it is a small thing. I believe in it and I think that when we say we will pray for someone it is a huge thing to do. When my husband was so sick with peritonitis and then with kidney transplant I felt the prayers that were coming our way and believe with all my heart that they made a difference. Your giving blood was the only thing you could physically do but sending out this request is very important. The docs can take care of her arm - her spirit needs God. It's good that you love your friend.