Saturday, June 13, 2009

Being Buff


For six months now, I've been exercising...mostly faithfully...at least four times a week. I've stretched and bowed and bended and beaten all the white metal hydraulic dragons, and I've walked miles and miles of digital hills to run my heart rate up to 85 percent of the recommended maximum for weight loss.

And I've lost--five pounds! Yippy Skippy! At this rate I'll be down a whole dress size by 2011. . . and after only five hundred more hours of slugging away. Thank you,German genes!

But I think I know what has happened. I've gotten in shape alright. It's just that the shape is way, way inside--right next to the bones. I can feel those steel muscles as I flex them. I know the strength and power in my stretches.
Way in there, I'm buff.
You just can't see it, for all the marshmallow-ish surface being pushed out by those bulging muscles. One day I'll be standing close to a campfire and it will all melt and run out my ankles and people will be amazed--by the size of the puddle around my feet and by my well-toned, sleek, physique!

Right.

Actually, last night I squealed as I noticed that my ring was loose. "My ring is loose! It's slipping on my finger! Do you think this actually means I'm losing weight? And if so...WHY JUST IN MY FINGERS?

Then it hit me--all this blogging, and facebook junk, and e-mail--no wonder my fingers are buff!

2 comments:

Carina said...

Oh yeah, I'll bet our mouse-hand is twice the strength of the other!

aftergrace said...

My goodness, you've been working so hard! I wish I had your drive and determination. Yay you! :0