Thursday, May 7, 2009

Thirteen Reasons to take a Hike!

1. First of all, look at the adventure. What could be more enticing than a distant mountain top shrouded in fog?











2. Next, It's a good way to teach an object lesson
to a group of active teenagers--
sophomores, to be precise?
















3. Looking at still, clear, shady water and tiny,
tangerine, spring flowers clears the mind of winter slush.


















4. Learning how to follow instructions and a map;
it's a vital skill!















5. In this forest, I once surprised a baby fawn;
then the mother deer surprised me. I couldn't out
run her, so I froze; they both went flying off
through the trees.
















6. Rocky roads make me appreciate the smooth
paths that will come at the end of the hike.














7. Following a trail to somewhere; It leads on and on
and there isn't any question here
whether I'm are on the right path.
It's a safe, sure feeling.















8. For hiking, cloudy days are even better
than sunny ones, and the cool, moist
kiss of spring is a welcome drizzle on my face.















9. Up in this high Mountain meadow, I sometimes see an old buffalo, driven to solitude by the younger, stronger herd leader. He doesn't bother me. I don't bother him. I think, today, he is gone, spooked and hiding from the shrill shouts of the jubilant sophomores who ran ahead of me

















10. The only thing loud in these silent woods is the occasional ta-woo ta-woo of a little, brown bird.













ll. Lakes along the path, make for fish and
turtle splashes; wild geese decorate the water
with widening v's.















12. Old dams, build by the CCC in the days of
economic depression, still stand, a testament
to those who worked for their bailouts.














13. As the road nears home, the walking seems
easier. My feet sense rest and sigh.


I've taken this hike for around 18 years now. Oddly enough, I still have to be careful not to get off the track. New growth is confusing in some places. This time, a couple of us got lost once, but we headed for high ground and were able to spot the rest of the group. We also made use of a whistle and a compass. Well, you never know, do you? The sign at the trail head says it's "8 miles" long, but the guidebook says "6 miles". I'm going to be safe and say seven. The Wichita Mountains Buffalo Trail; it's a pleasant morning hike in spring, fall, or winter. Summer? Well, if you have a lot of sunscreen and plenty of water.



3 comments:

aftergrace said...

What a pretty place! It certainly is mighty green where you live. I am jealous.

This hike makes me wish I could go back to being 16 years old again, and in your class!

Carina said...

Art thinks we could take the kids on this trail. I think that's a little optimistic. =)

Lilibeth said...

Maybe next spring...