Friday, May 8, 2009

Secret Garden

As teachers, we get invited to a lot of banquets--alumni banquets, school supporter banquets, and student-council extravaganzas. It's always difficult to know what to wear to these last ones. Who can afford the kind of prom dresses that disguise how old you have become and how stodgy? So a couple other teachers and I have found our own solution. We play masquerade.
The STUCO banquet this year was themed "Secret Garden", so we dressed as the characters in that book. Our principal was the gardener, his wife, our Spanish teacher, was the dignified housekeeper, and I was a visiting friend. My husband was easily enticed into coming because he just happened to have bought a tuxedo last July. I didn't tell him he would be going with a strangely dressed woman until the last minute. He was embarassed, but suffered with good humor. Ah well. Next year we are going to see if more teachers will join us in theme dressing. (I just hope they don't decide to have a luau. A grass skirt would be out of the question...and so would flowered flip flops...maybe I could be a tourist.) Hmmm.

11 comments:

Carina said...

I love those pictures! Especially Dad and Uncle. M. Those are some bold men right there. =) Of course you ladies looked lovely too. Where did Aunt D find that hat? Was that a backstage hat?

Lilibeth said...

No. I'm not sure where she got it, but she had a little more time to look than I did. She didn't invite me to join her in the adventure until a day or two before the event. I got the boa from play props, the shawl from your sister, and the hat from Mrs. S., who had worn it at a dinner theater a few years ago. The fuddy-duddy dress and shoes were already mine...

aftergrace said...

I love the pictures! You all look amazing. You should frame the one of you and turtle.

Unknown said...

What an excellent and creative idea! That sounds like fun and something teachers and students alike might look forward to.

Dee Martin said...

Lots more fun than prom dresses :)

anthonynorth said...

That looked fun. A good take for covert.

Americanising Desi said...

this is one hell of a prompt!

i m now feeling stupid about teh way i did it!

:(
great!

Happy SS

http://2short2sweet.blogspot.com/2009/05/covertly-photographed.html

Anonymous said...

what good sports, and what a fun way to make it a grand evening! Thanks for sharing! -Meg

Tumblewords: said...

Oh, my, what fun! Love the idea and the costumes, as well...

Frances said...

What a fun idea. Do let hubby know I wrote that he was quite sharp in his new tux. Nothing like getting into the spirit of things. Your post makes me want to re-read the book.

Andy Sewina said...

Phew, makes me wanna get dressed up too!