Friday, December 5, 2008

Schnetka--A Traditional Breakfast Food

Our Sunday Scribblings Prompt was Tradition so...

(I actually found this entry from earlier, and I'm posting it again. There's a recipe at the end for all of you adventurous souls with a sweet tooth.)

The school where I teach is located about fifteen miles away, in a tiny community. Every morning, five students and I get to drive there together, and talk about our day while driving into the sunrise. This morning we discovered that three of my commuters had NEVER tasted schnetka. Amazing. How could someone live in this community and not have tasted this little breakfast dainty? After that, nothing would suffice but that I be talked into stopping and buying some. When I pulled up to the door of the small cafe on main street--the only main street--the only cafe-- the first thing I noticed was a sign which said: "Sorry, we are closed." While I searched all the neatly printed little homemade signs for one which told me when they were open, the door opened and two of the local farmers asked what I needed. When I asked for a list of hours, one of them said,

"Come on in."
"Oh, are you open?"
"Well, we are only semi-open. If you want coffee and schnetka, we are open enough for that."

"Actually, I wanted six schnetka for my students."
"Well come on in and help yourself. They are over there on the bar."

I helped myself, finding a carry-out box, loading the pastry treats into it, and depositing my cash into a bucket on the table. The two men told me that they come drink coffee here every morning. Other residents do too. This keeps the cafe semi-open. Well, that's good to know. I think I'll make Thursdays "Schnetka days".

Small towns...I love them. And I love schnetka too. Who wouldn't?

Schnetka Recipe--This is a cinnamon, sugary, creamy, pie crusted, delicious pastry. It's best served warm along with a nice cup of tea or coffee.

4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. salt
1 cup Crisco
1cup water (as needed to make dough)

1 cup sugar
1Tbls.cinnamon
1/2 cup of brown sugar

1cup sugar
1 cup cream
1tsp vanilla


Mix together flour, 1 cup sugar, 1tsp salt, Crisco, and water and roll out on flat surface to make a 20 by 22 inch rectangle.
Spread with butter, sprinkle with 1 cup of sugar mixed with 2 T cinnamon. Sprinkle 1/3 cup of brown sugar over the top.
Cut into 4 by 4 and 1/2 inch squares and roll each square.
Spray an 11 by 15 inch pan heavily with baking spray or grease it well.
Place schnetka on pan leaving small space between them. ( A jelly roll pan works great)
Mix together 1 cup of cream, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 tsp of vanilla. Pour this mixture over the top of schnetka.
Sprinkle with more sugar.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes (depending on type of pan)
Remove the schnetka from the pan immediately, turning them out on a plate or tray. Here's roughly what they look like. Sorry you can't taste them.

An older spelling is schnitke, or schnetke.

22 comments:

Kiah-Monique said...

Mmmm. Sounds tasty. I don't think I ever had schnetka either come to think of it.

latree said...

sounds tasty. every place has its traditional cookie. we have a lot here in java...

"Sunshine" said...

Never heard of it, but it sounds like a yummy tradition!

linda may said...

Ohhh, sounds good, I never heard of them before, what is their origin?

Stan Ski said...

I'm going to try this. Thanks for providing the recipe.

anthonynorth said...

I've never heard of this, but I love the community spirit you encountered.

aftergrace said...

Perfect recipe for tomorrow's breakfast!

*~sis~* said...

sounds (and looks delicious)....:)

Marja said...

Seems ver tasty to me. Schnetka sounds like a russian name

tillery said...

They are absolutely delicious. :)

Lilibeth said...

And fattening. Sigh.

Rambler said...

I had never heard about this, I looked it up..that looks yummy :)

Patois42 said...

I'd certainly never heard of it. It does sound quite delightful. How good of you to buy some for your students.

JAWilkinson said...

Sounds delicious. I'm a great cinnamon fan. My wife introduced me to French toast (not a native English dish) with cinnamon as well as pumpkin pie flavoured with cinnamon. I'm nuts for the stuff. Perhaps I can return the favor.

nonizamboni said...

What a wonderful memory! And I enjoyed the visit to the 'half-open' cafe. I love living in small towns for that very reason.
Oh, and thanks for the recipe. I'll give them a try. Thanks for sharing this post as well.

Anonymous said...

My husband grew up in Clinton OK, once a year or two ago his sister there and he were talking about something they remembered eating when they were young. His sister thought it was called snitka or schnitka, but wasn't sure how to spell it. I did a search using: german,cookies,pastry,cinnamon, dessert - but had no luck finding a recipe.Yesterday Jim's other sister who lives in Corn OK which is in the Bessie, Clinton, Cordell, Colony, and Weatherford area - emailed me a recipe which I am planning to make today.I wasn't sure how they are to look when they are done, with doing a seach and spelling it correctly, now I know what they are suppose to look like when I get done. Thank you for posting (a little different) recipe and the video. Where in OK do you live? I compiled a book about my step-grandmothers life and artwork, her name when she taught and was involved in art in OK was Jo Lee Rodke. She lived on a farm near Paoli, also in Paul's Valley, and Shawnee.

Janis Roelofson Williams

Anonymous said...

I used to live in Clinton and Weatherford, OK and know the little cafe very well. I used to work at the Weatherford Co-op and would make special trips to Corn just to get these delicious treats. They are absolutely wonderful!

Thank you for the recipe.

emerald4jb

Lilibeth said...

Well, thanks for stopping in. I hope the ones you make turn out as well as these. Right now, I'm on a diet...so bummers.

Tammy Wilson said...

We're snowed in today so I thought I would make some schnetka. I was looking for a link so I could explain it to my Facebook friends and I came across your page :). I first encountered them at the same cafe in Corn the others are talking about. I lived in Weatherford and Corn for a while and they were the best kept secret around :). After moving back home to Enid, we would occasionally order them and they would mail them frozen. I looked for years for a recipe and a friend finally found one in an old Mennonite cookbook. I'm going to try your recipe today :)

L. Smith said...

My family grew up on these. It is traditional to fill them with raisins, but my great-aunt didn't like raisins, so she filled them with pineapple. Oh my goodness! They are awesome. Thanks for posting!

Unknown said...

My sister's mmother-in-law used to make those for the kids, only she made the sticks a little longer and then curled them in a sort of small cinnamon roll shape. She called them schnecken, which is german for snails.

Unknown said...

The cafe in Corn was called the Dutch Touch! They had awsome food and Schnika!