Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Temporary Cure for Chronic Old-Fashionivity

It's homecoming week at school--football homecoming no less, so all the students are bouncing off the lockers. There are streamers and hundreds of white Christmas lights dripping from the ceiling in the hall, so with the regular lights off, it's festive and mysterious at the same time. The theme verse is John 14:6--Jesus answered "I am the way, the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." From that, the theme for homecoming took a couple of giant steps, without so much as a "Mother, may I," to cowboys and bikers riding into the sunset. All the class posters have the verse and a sunset. Most of them also have bikers and cowboys and football goal posts. Mine has a cross floating in space--planets all around, Saturn resplendent in gold and copper fabric paint. That's what you get when you keep bouncing ideas around and throwing little fences in the way. Any way, we should get something for creativity, at least.

Normally, I'm the most fuddy-duddy of the teachers. Everything I wear is a throw-back to the last decade...or a hand-me-down from someone who was once in style and probably still is, now that they've got rid of their old stuff. That's fine with me; I've always felt style was over rated.

However, it feels good, at least once a year, to be dressed just right. On Monday we were supposed to be bikers or cowboys. I wore a red bandana, dark shades, and a cowboy shirt--giving a nod to both genres. Today was backwards day. I curled my page boy hairstyle up--into a flip--wore my blouse and sweater backwards, and even wore a beret--backwards of course. The hardest part was wearing my shoes on the wrong feet, but it wasn't even that bad with crocs. I didn't try putting my pants on backwards--kind of afraid the zipper wouldn't stay up, and there is a limit to my dignity.

Tomorrow is career day. I think I'll be a benevolent despot. I have a golden scepter and a turban...just need a robe...hmmm. I'll let you know how it went. Do you think they will obey my every word? Stop! Desist bouncing off the lockers and batting the streamers as if you were a bunch of kittens... or I'll export thee to Siberia!

2 comments:

Carina said...

Dress up week was always so much fun.

aftergrace said...

Sounds like you're in the spirit of things, it's hard sometimes to just go with the flow. I never could do backwards day, too hard for me.