Thursday, August 28, 2008

New Energy Bursts from the Smoldering Ashes

Somewhere...

even in the midst of this crazy year, I've discovered new energy in teaching my Christian Studies IV class. That class always takes preparation, but after ten years of teaching it, I could ease up a little and rest on what I already know; not this year though. More than ever, I'm finding myself preparing hours for that class and excited about teaching it.

Why?

Well I believe I've self-analyzed it down to one thing: This summer, a month before school started, I received a letter from one of the students who was going to be in the class. She said: "I'm so looking forward to being in CS IV next year." On enrollment day, another couple of seniors came up to me and said the same thing: "We can't wait for your Bible Class."

You do see, don't you? How could I do less than my best?

I think that's what every teacher needs. Maybe other people too.
Hmm. I'll have to think about that one.
Hopefully, I'm not too old to learn a lesson.

Sunday Scribblings

10 comments:

aftergrace said...

Yep, nothing makes you feel better than when the students actually "want' to be in your class. You must be a pretty terrific teacher! :)

Kiah-Monique said...

ditto. knowing that students want to be in your class has to be best est feeling ever.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

I once taught two students who'd failed the freshman comp class the year before. I'll never forget the times they came to me and said, "I didn't get it last time, but now I do. You made me get it."

It's hard to keep our motivation up when we're faced with a mountain of papers to grade and a syllabus to fine-tune.

Keep your focus on the students. On what they'll be able to do once they are turned loose on the world.

I can't think of a better prize.

Linda Jacobs said...

I just spent three days in school going to useless workshops, bored to death. Then on Thursday morning, the Freshmen came in for orientation and, even though I don't teach 9th grade, just seeing them and having them around reminded me of why I'm a teacher.

Wonderful post!

anthonynorth said...

To be appreciated is always the best incentive. It makes it all worthwhile.

Patois42 said...

That's fabulous that others could pull you up to the challenge and excitement of past years.

Anonymous said...

You nailed that right in the first sentence.I hope my daughter gets someone excited and happy about the CS class she will take so maybe she will desire to take the rest in the series.

susan said...

I have the utmost admiration and respect for those who teach. A part of me envies you, too. I hope you never forget that what you do impacts those who come in contact with you. Wish you well. Thanks for the post.

gautami tripathy said...

As a teacher I can totally relate to this.

trying to find a meaning

Devil Mood said...

It sure sounds exciting and it's great to be able to do what one wants :)