Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Why Would Anyone Ever Want To Live in a Small Town Out in the Middle of Oklahoma?

Every morning I try to take a walk---before the heat of the day comes roaring up from the East. Today was rainy, so it wasn't so bad. As I walked along the streets in my neighborhood, I was--once again--glad I live in a small town. Here are a few reasons why.

1. The street in front of my house has a slow speed limit.
Even our main streets(both of them)
have sections at this speed and only ever get to 35.
















2. The edge of town is only (at most) a mile from the center of town, so country seeps into town and mingles with the lawns of suburbia...which starts a block from the central courthouse.















3. People's lawns look like parks...and these aren't really rich people either...just hard-working folk, some retired, who are proud of their gardening ability.














4. In the early morning, it is quiet...not too many people rushing out to work or to find some kind of entertainment.















5. I think its interesting that the "wood shop"
is bigger than the house.























6. Even this little house, full of children's toys and not at all ostentatious, has its own charm... look at the room these children have to play--no apartment-smothered little cement patios or crowded sidewalks. Kids need trees.
















7. Pets have room to run around.
In this field you can see goats, 2 llamas, and a dog.

















8. Old work trucks don't really look out of place.
















9. People sometimes keep horses in their backyards. No. I don't ride them,but they are lovely to look at, especially when you aren't the one having to clean the stables.















10.I hear lots of doves calling,
and some kind of bird that goes
twi-twi-tic-tic-tic-tic. There are squirrels too, running all over the trees, and a couple of years ago there was a skulk of little foxes living in the creek bed.















11. Old houses get fixed up and added to and added to again,
but they still retain that character.















12. People make lots of places to sit.
This one just faces the road
so you can see who is driving by.
















13. I never have to spend gas for a drive in the country,
because I walk there every morning. It almost makes up
for the fact that we don't have Walmart or a mall.













The house across the street from me is for sale. Well?

For more Thursday Thirteen, check here.

28 comments:

aftergrace said...

Is the house in #11 for sale? I would like to buy it, and move in as soon as possible. Small town life is for me, I can't stand the city life much longer.

Lilibeth said...

I don't think that one is, but the one across the street from me is...could you stand my four sycamore trees shedding bark all over your front lawn? I'll have to send you some pictures.

SandyCarlson said...

Oh, yeah! Take me there, Google Earth!

Hootin Anni said...

Nos. 4 and 10? Ahhhhhhhhhhhh, true bliss.

My 13 is published, hope you can stop by sometime.

Karen Coutu said...

What a beautiful town! I think the quiet would make me crazy though. LOL!!

Here's mine . . .

http://3garnetsn2sapphires.blogspot.com/2008/07/thursday-thirteen-3rd-edition.html

marcia@joyismygoal said...

Oh I like this you post like me :) I want to live there now too thanks for the tour.

Chelle Y. said...

Ah, it must be fun living in a small town. My town is not that small, but it does have that small town atmosphere.

kay said...

Everything's a trade-off, isn't it? When we live in town, we miss the stars and the quiet and the cicadas. When we live in the country, we miss the museums and the galleries and the theatre. But that way, we can always visit the other location and fill our cups up.

Anonymous said...

I think it's really cool that you like where you live. So many people don't. I don't think I could live in a small town - but that's just me.

Anonymous said...

So very picturesque.

Carina said...

I will never choose to live in anything but a rural community.

Jenny McB said...

How very peaceful! Thank you for sharing.
We have the possibility of moving to Arkansas in a few years and your pictures are encouraging of what I may find down there.
We have a lot more hills and trees here, but I love living in a rural area also.

sobeit said...

I have lived in several place, and my favorite are the small towns! Great pictures!


sobeit
http://sobeit89.squarespace.com

SJ Reidhead said...

I live in a small town in New Mexico. I know exactly what you are saying - it is as close to paradise as one can have - and not live on the Islands. I also think there's about as much to do as the Islands and as much or as little shopping as the Islands.

SJR
The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Anonymous said...

Your list makes me homesick. I grew up in the country in northern Utah and the landscape was very similar. Thank you for the beautiful pictures!

Lori said...

Im a city girl but I wouldnt mind going for a visit:) Happy TT.

Michelle said...

That's great that you can walk instead of drive. At least you save on gas. I also live in a small town thought it's growing every day. Great TT!

Carol said...

Oh wow. I thought I lived in the sticks. Looks like we're both in Mayberry RFD. And we love it!!!

Good 13!

Kim said...

Your little town looks heavenly now that I have a child.kim

Anonymous said...

I'm not a small town person, but I love those photos.

Robin said...

I'm a city kid at heart, but my kids would love all that space!

The Gal Herself said...

#13 got me thinking -- as a big city girl, I really can appreciate why you love where you are. I don't have a car, I walk most places I go day to day (grocery store, drugstore, doctor, movie theater, etc.) so I feel I'm more in touch with my neighborhood than many of my suburban counterparts who have to drive to even pick up a loaf of bread. What a thought provoking TT! Thanks for sharing, and thanks for visiting mine.

~RaenWa~ said...

I have always wanted to try living in a small city big city life can get to you after awhile it looks like you live in a great place

myrtle beached whale said...

Do you have to update the photos after each tornado? LOL
No, seriously, very nice photos.

Anonymous said...

Nice little town you have there. Looks like the perfect place to raise a family and enjoy all the gifts that nature provides.
Great TT post!

bernieg1 said...

I forgot to ask, what are the annual taxes?

Lilibeth said...

That depends on the house. The taxes are still figured according to what you paid for the house, so if you have owned the house for a long time they are low, but even on a recently purchased house they are not bad. For a nice-3 or 4 bedroom,they run in the neighborhood of 300 dollars a year...if the house is really large and expensive they might reach 400. Of course sales taxes and income tax are about the same anywhere in the state.

Nicole said...

You make a very appealing offer. I don't know that I would have the skills to find employment in your small town in OK though. And I love the ocean waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyy too much to be so landlocked.

Found you on the TT hub and very much enjoyed your post and your relaxing pictures. I'm just about to go drive in traffic on my way to the mall to get my hair cut. sigh A walk like that sounds a lot more peaceful!!! =))