Sunday, July 13, 2008

Raining in the Trees

It's strange to walk this morning. The ground is wet and the streets are shining. From the north, comes a mist-laden breeze and everywhere I hear the dripping and rustling sound of steady rain. Out in the street, away from the trees which gather to gossip at the creek, the rain is over. It was a good rain though. You can tell that by the lively, green rustle of the Virginia creeper, which has lately drooped over fences in a languid protest at this July heat. I walk a mile alone. It's Sunday. Everybody is sleeping in. Church doesn't start until ten o'clock, but you can't tell that to the birds. They are singing already. Loudly. Incessantly. Joyfully. That's what rain does for the thirsty.

2 comments:

bernie said...

I live in the city where the sounds of nature rarely have voice. I am putting the audio portion of this onto my ipod so I can play it whenever I need to relax.

As nice as the video is, if I close my eyes, I see a place not unlike yours, a small island of memory from my childhood which you brought back from the darkness for me.

aftergrace said...

We've been having some wonderful rain showers here too.
I've been feeling pretty joyful myself!