Saturday, May 24, 2008

They Say You Never Forget...

...how to ride a bicycle. So I put them to the test. Claye has an old one that she hasn't ridden in years, and, upon cleaning the garage and moving it around for the umpteenth time, I had a brainstorm:

"So, Claye, do you plan to take this bike over to college and ride it around?"

"No."

"Do you think you will ride it here?"

"Not really."

"So will you ever ride it again?"

"Probably not."

"Do you mind if I ride it?"

"Not at all. Go ahead."

And that's how I got myself a bike.

This morning, before the heat of the day grew oppressive, I decided to take it for a courageous spin. The first thing I had forgotten was that hand brakes are not as convenient as foot brakes, but I found them. The second thing, which actually caused me to turn around after the first block, was the bone-jarring solidity of the seat. Fortunately, I had once bought a soft cushion for a bike seat, and--since we had just cleaned the garage--I knew where it was hanging. Ah. Providence. I set out bravely toward the center of town, being thankful for my sense of hearing, that I might survive by not venturing out too far into the middle of the road, where the cars were whizzing by at the top of their fearsome 25-mile-an-hour speed limit. It was uphill riding. At the drugstore, I purchased blood pressure medicine and headed home, sailing downhill with the wind in my face.

They are right. You never forget.

3 comments:

Carina said...

Of course...back in the days of your youth you weren't having to cycle for blood pressure meds... =)

Lilibeth said...

Maybe if I cycle enough, I won't need them any more.

aftergrace said...

You should see how silly I look on a bike, the front wheel is all wobbly, and I can barely control the thing, and the fact that we live on a hill... At least it's entertainment for the neighbors.