Friday, April 25, 2008

Buffalo Trail

Every year I decide--about the last two miles--that I'm too old to take a class on the Buffalo Trail. But for seventeen years, we've hiked it, the sophomores and I. It's a pilgrimage, of sorts, which ties in with the last unit of our book in an object lesson sort of way.

The country kids remember where the water holes are and the best places to sun on the rocks midstream, catching crawdads and loving the wind. The city kids chase the lizards and scream at the snakes. Surrounded by so much quiet springtime, it's hard not to relax and laugh for sheer joy of beauty. The sign says that the trail is eight miles long; the brochure in the ranger station says six; It feels more like twelve.

I'm not sore today, but the bottoms of my feet are bruised a little. No ticks. No scrapes. What a wonderful day it was. Maybe a little too warm though. Next year we should leave at 6:00 instead of 8:00. (I always say that)

The videos are of trail views. First, a group of adventuresome crayfish chasers, (It's a little long) and then some scenery (On the high meadow, and down by the water). The trail has a lot of variety. I stayed quiet so you could hear nature sounds, but what you hear most is the wind.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful accomplishment, good for you for keeping it up...

Carina said...

I can't wait to take Zaya and Mim to the mountains. I don't think we'll start off with the Buffalo, though; maybe the Elk or the Longhorn.

aftergrace said...

What a beautiful day you had! It's the perfect place to go for a hike.