Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The Final Thirteen Proverbs

(At least until next year)
I had to use these last thirteen. My students are eagerly awaiting their guesses in print. (Once again, the real proverbs are at the bottom. Just in case you are shaky on your axioms.) See earlier lists of proverbs here and here.
Thursday Thirteen

1. The first step is...
... before the second step








2. The way to a man's heart is...
...surgery













3. Too many chiefs...
... equals a war















4. One swallow does not...
... fill you up.








5. It takes two...
...to play a three-legged race


















6. There's more than one way to...eat chicken














7. The spirit is willing... but the mind is asleep.















8. Misery loves...coffee
(True for me, anyway)

















9. Don't judge a man until .........you know how much money he makes. (I'm not sure I'd want my son to date the little girl who said this.)














10. The best things in life are... chocolate

















11. Don't bite the hand...of someone who will bite back














12. Nothing hurts like..... the dickens













13. The Pen is mightier... than the pencil.

(I'm not sure why, but fully one third of the students responded with this guess.)

















The Real Proverbs
1. The first step...is the hardest.
2. The way to a man's heart...is through his stomach.
3. Too many chiefs...not enough Indians.
4. One swallow does not...a summer make.
5. I takes two...to tango.
6. There's more than one way...to skin a cat.
7. The spirit is willing... but the flesh is weak.
8. Misery loves... company.
9. Don't judge a man until...you've walked a mile in his shoes.
10. Don't bite the hand...that feeds you.
11. Nothing hurts like...the truth
12. The best things in life...are free.
13. The pen is mightier than the sword.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Out of the mouths of babes... very interesting post. Happy T13!

suchsimplepleasures said...

now THAT was a fun post!! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

#7 reminds me of college!

Shari said...

This is oh so true - 2. The way to a man's heart...is through his stomach. I enjoyed your Thursday 13.

Anonymous said...

Those are adorable. 7 was my favorite---so sadly true of so many (and not only school children).

Mine:
13 Hearts

anthonynorth said...

Now they had me laughing. Loved them.

Brenda said...

Awesome! #10 (chocolate) is great!
Come on over and visit my blog for more chocolate fun!
Have a wonderful day!

aftergrace said...

You know, now that I think of it, the one of the best things in life have to do with chocolate!

Barbara Doduk said...

Classic. I love proverbs. Great TT.

Cheers!

deraveling said...

Some of these are so clever! Esp the first one :)

Mrs. Brownstone @ XBOX Wife said...

These were very creative!! Love all the little pics, too!

Thanks for stopping by my blog!