Saturday, December 18, 2010

December Unveils True Weirdness

I've just finished wrapping all the family Christmas gifts and stowing them safely under the warm lights of the tree. Ahh. Well, these were my thoughts as I surveyed the oh-so-normal looking packages, knowing the contents of each: If a Christmas thief were to invade my house some day between now and the twenty fifth of this month, he would probably shake his head in frustration as he tried to find anything worth pawning.

Don't look at me. I decided to buy what they wanted this year, so I visited their wish lists and chose something they had requested beforehand. Can I help it if they like strange things? Not really. I'm pretty normal myself. . . So when Elisha requests a tour book of Italy and an ethnodoxology textbook; Claye wants obscure books by Charles Dickens and a Celtic Thunder CD; Carina lists herbal teas and teeny, tiny mixing bowls that look like doll dishes; Art wants a flash light with twisty, magnetic legs, and Turtle fills his wish list with survival gear--since nobody has told him we live in pretty comfortable suburbia--I'm left with no normal gift choices, except for Marie, who doesn't even have a "wish list" and says she's happy with anything. (I'm guessing she'll have one by next year.)

Well, if I told you what I bought them, that would be spoiling the surprise, right? so I'll just use my grandkids as an example. There's little likelihood they will come investigating this blog to see what this grandma bought from their wish lists.

Six-year-old Zaya loves all things Biology and is particularly fascinated with deep sea creatures and germs. His thinkgeek list is swarming with stuffed animals--not the cartoon inspired ones, nor yet the all-little-boy favorite, dinosaurs; no, he collects stuffed microbes, knows them all by name and can't wait to add another one to his shelf. Here are several from his list. (I had to take a picture before I wrapped them together.)
Rabies is the red one with blood-shot eyes, Malaria is wearing a little green jacket around its middle, Gangrene is flat black velvet with a lime-green edge, and MRSA wears a superhero cape. As you can see, they are mighty cute little assassins. However, I'm not altogether certain that I like the idea of my grandson cuddling with them.

And what of five-year-old Mim? Well, she's not quite as fascinated by bacteria, but she did request one special one, so, along with the little girl butterfly bells and sticker books, I gave in and bought it for her. Meet Mono--the kissing disease. Notice her cute little eyelashes.



So when you open that sweater from your daughter, that chocolate from Aunt Sue, just be grateful you aren't getting a gift from me this year...cause you might just get the thing you requested and it would probably be weird.

18 comments:

George S Batty said...

I always let my wife do the shopping as it seems is the case in your family.
I like those things but would have no idea what to do with them. Please get me a rubber ducky.

Linda May said...

hahaha Love this. I wonder what they will be enjoying in another 10m years for their christmas choices.

Jae Rose said...

This made me smile Lilibeth..very touching..I've never seen those toys here in the UK - they look fantastic! Jae

Understanding Alice said...

haha, I love that fact they all want weird things - I mean when else would you have the chance to give someone a cuddly toy disease? Brilliant :D

Linda Jacobs said...

Never knew these things existed! But, I love them! I think my 5-year-old granddaughter would, too!

Berowne said...

Yours for more weird gifts. :-)

Saire said...

What fascinating toys! It brings a whole new meaning to saying "I got mono on Christmas day".

Greta said...

Ah, the thought of gift lists from children! We did purchase from the granddaughters' lists (which we asked them to make) but we picked out what we thought would last. Time will tell!

gautami tripathy said...

Interesting toys!

dead woman and her stillness in a cold december morning

Dee Martin said...

all I can say is you have AWESOME grandchildren lol - I love the stuffed microbes (of course I love anything from thinkgeek anyway)

Hilarious list. You never said what you wanted though :)

Lilibeth said...

Well, of course I wanted normal stuff...a kindle and tons of books for it!

Other Mary said...

lol, that's great. The thinkgeek I can especially relate to, as I got a Dr. Who sonic screwdriver/ flashlight from there! Hope everyone has fun opening their strange gifts. And down worry, 'normal' is overrated!

JanePoet ~ Deborah said...

I love the giving of Christmas ... thanks for sharing yours!

Carina said...

Normal is boring. The kids are going to be so excited about their microbes!

erer said...

hey thanks for your visit :)

i hope you have a lovely christmas!

Happy blogging :)

brenda w said...

We love weird gifts at my house! Your post brought mid morning smiles, thanks..

aftergrace said...

My wish list includes being able to see all of you again soon!

Dee Martin said...

hope you got your Christmas wish - I absolutely love my kindle :)