Friday, May 22, 2009

Goodbye, Miss Haversham


I hear quiet chords of anthem music. Claye has decided to tackle her room...a museum of ancient treasure that has sat serenely for many months in complete stillness, quietly collecting dust. She is methodically moving from corner to corner with the dust cloth, polishing and restoring every precious object, and to my great delight, even deciding to part with some of them, relinquishing them to the school-benefit garage sale.

"Do you think she will mind if I give this away?" she asks, all concerned,holding out a bouquet of artificial flowers.
"What? Aren't those from your sister's wedding?"
"No, my cousin's wedding."
"But that's almost thirteen years ago. Surely she won't mind."
"And if I get rid of the lava lamps...?"
"That would be great. I'll take them to your sister and she can put them in the sale. They will add interest to her booth."
"But she's the one who gave them to me...."
"She won't mind. Nobody expects you to keep things forever."

Still, it's hard to part with things you like, especially if you remember who gave them to you and when. That's Claye's dilemma. She still has many of her childhood toys, and I think fully half of the attic holds boxes of her stuff. She loves all things Victorian and collects glass bottles; books by Dickens, prints by Gainsborough; she loves warriors and weapons--daggers and sais.

"What about this elf mask?" she asked again, holding out a paper mache and leaf concoction.
"The one you made for sculpture I?"
"Yes, I was going to throw it away, but it would look neat."
"Does it actually fit over the head."
"Um huh"
"Wow. Let me try it on. Amazing. No, we can't possible sell it. It will be perfect for a homecoming day at school--or a play prop--Midsummer night's dream or something.Let me put it in the attic."

...Well, she had to get it from somewhere.

4 comments:

aftergrace said...

You're right, we all need to purge now and then. I have too much stuff, and no nerve to throw any of it away.

I love the mask, she did a gread job on it!

Carina said...

Releasing our treasures is always difficult. It helps if you marry someone who's allergic to clutter.

Nice mask!

Johanna said...

I'm impressed/touched she kept those flowers for as long as she did. wow

I'm allergic to clutter. Sometimes I just feel like throwing everything away and starting over.

b said...

This is a beautiful post and struck a cord with me. Things are just...well things but memories, now that is something worth keeping. I have heard that taking a picture of the dusty lava lamp and then saving it is a way of staving off the regret of giving away those things we don't use. I have never done it though. sigh!

b