Tuesday, July 22, 2008

There are Many Things in Life that I Cannot Understand

I know that's the first verse of a song somewhere, but it's also the theme for this Thursday Thirteen.

1. I don't understand why my clothes hamper never retains clothes. They gather around its feet in a worshipful pose and lie there limply on the floor. Strange.

















2. I don't understand how my sock basket gives birth to totally new socks, never twins, single odd socks that I never bought. They just appeared in the nebula of the sock galaxy. If you recognize any of these socks, claim it. Suspicious












3. I don't understand how anyone could possibly use 21 fishing rods.
That's right: 21. Even if you did inherit some, and bought some at garage sales, and were given some: the question is why must you keep them forever. Puzzling.














4. I don't understand why grass grows so well in the flower beds--trespassing over cement and risking sudden death at the clipper-equipped hand of an irate gardener to get there, and refuses to grow on certain spots of the lawn, where it's pampered. Irritating.













5. I don't understand what is so hard about putting
the new toilet paper on the roll when the old one
is finished. Am I the only one who does this? Confusing.
















6. I don't understand where nail clippers go when you need one.
There must be at least 21 pair of them around here. Maybe I need a rack to hang on the wall so I can hang them all side by side. Intriguing.





7. I don't understand why perfectly well-behaved, intelligent children, upon being introduced to an adult
--particularly an adult you want to impress--decide to talk gibberish and make faces while pretending to be an iguana. Amusing.








8. I don't understand how anyone prefers Nacho Libre to Casa Blanca.


Weird.










9. I don't understand how squash, with all those pretty colors and vitamins, isn't as alluring as plain old home made vanilla ice cream with its wicked empty calories. Tragic.














10. I don't understand what's better for a car that doesn't fit in the garage--parking under the trees and suffering bird splats or parking in the sun and getting bleached spots on the upholstery. Disconcerting.













11. I don't know why the telephone doesn't ring for twelve hours, then rings three times in five minutes...when you are out in the garage, painting something. Annoying.









12. I don't understand how the same recipe produces different results in different households...namely something delicious in somebody else's kitchen/ something indigestible in mine. Discouraging.











13. I don't understand how some people can come up with a Thursday Thirteen every week, but I have blank weeks when I just can't think...so you get stuff like this.
Amazing.

19 comments:

SandyCarlson said...

Lilibeth,
Those socks you're looking for are hiding in my daughter's bed. I will email them to you as I find them!

God bless.

Anonymous said...

I especially agree with you on #13!

Anonymous said...

This is a very fun TT - one of my favorite mad about you openings is when she shows him how to put on the toilet paper roll.

Happy TT

Carina said...

I don't understand how one's mother can be so funny, while oneself cannot.
Frustrating.

Lori said...

Great list. Man, I can soooo relate..Happy TT:)

Unknown said...

I'm with you on the socks and nailclippers lol When you figure it out, let me know. Happy T13!

Anonymous said...

I don't understand why I have finally given up eating less and exercising, and have STOPPED gaining weight... i eat whatever i please, that seems to be the ticket... puzzling

Hootin Anni said...

I swear! You have a washing machine just like mine...same company made yours/mine...I'm sure of it now!!! It EATS socks.

And the squash dilemma? I used to put the 'meat' of the veggie in the blender and then add that to a brownie mix...kids got their veggies and didn't even KNOW it. AND...that makes for extra moist and chewy brownies!!

My T-13 is posted, I do hope you can find time after searching for your missing socks...to drop by!

Robin said...

You know where the mates of odd socks go, right? They morph into wire coat hangers.

Great TT.

pjazzypar said...

I don't understand the 21 fishing rods and #5 drives me crazy.

Donna said...

This is a great idea for a TT... and you're right about all of them, but #5 is my biggest pet peeve... paper towels and toilet paper. Come on, how hard can it be?! (very, evidently...:) )

Crystal's Elite Dance Studio said...

I often wonder some of the same things, particularly the random socks coming forth from the dryer, as well as why it's so hard to put the toilet paper back on the holder...I've NEVER understood that. Another thing I don't get is why my husband thinks our living room is his own personal de-robing room. When he gets home from work, he takes his shirt off and throws it on the couch. Then he takes his shoes off and leaves them near sometimes under the coffee table. Somedays he even takes his pants off too! Such mysteries!! Happy t13!!

Chelle Y. said...

I agree with #13!

Forgetfulone said...

I could have written 1, 2, 4, and 5. Oh, and 13! I get blank weeks, too. I really really don't understand what's so hard about putting the TP on the roll! That annoys me to no end! You are very clever and witty, and I enjoyed this post.

Qtpies7 said...

Never mess with a man and his fishing poles. I don't even ask my dad why he needs 8 boat motors for his one boat.
I can't find clippers most of the time, either. And the socks! don't get me started!

SJ Reidhead said...

I think you have the beginning of a book on modern philosophy!

Great TT!

SJR
The Pink Flamingo
http://thepinkflamingo.blogharbor.com/blog

Michelle said...

Funny TT. I totally agree with you regarding the fishing rods. My hubby has a bunch also. It's not like they can use them all at once or can they? LOL!!

byoc said...

What a great post - I have some odd socks on the floor of my car? Now where did they come from? Grandchildren ya think?

aftergrace said...

#2, 8, and 12 all the way.
I do think that pink sock with the grey toe and heel might belong at our place...I'll check. (if not, we have one just like it)