Sunday, January 6, 2008

Oklahoma Red

The new picture in the header was taken from a snapshot (When it's a digital camera, do you still call it a snapshot?) uploaded by my daughter last June. That is not a river. That is the street in front of my house. There is a little gully opposite our street, and when unusually heavy rains come driving across Oklahoma, that gully can't all empty into its handy little tunnel at the corner, so it backs up and becomes a swiftly flowing lake. Fortunately, it stopped at my driveway, so our basement wasn't soaked, but the road was blocked off, and for a few hours we had water-front property. Bring out the fishing poles! Stuff my pack with trail-mix! Sing Mississippi float songs! Oh wait; it's Oklahoma. You can tell that by the color: murky, red water. No, I didn't mess up in the photo shop with "tint". That's really the color of water that has brushed by Oklahoma dirt.I tried to think of something deep and meaningful to say that would tie this all together. Alas. My brain is too preoccupied with trivial things. We have company coming for lunch, and I have a million little tasks to do. Somewhere this afternoon, a great thought may rain down upon me, and I might rush over here and edit the blog. But for now. No snappy ending. No moral lesson. You are stuck...go ahead, dip your toe in the Oklahoma red water of our street...er canal.

3 comments:

aftergrace said...

That Oklahoma red is mighty pretty color. What a beautiful contrast it is against the green foliage. I see the sweet little homes in the background, and long for the small town life-complete with red dirt, and maybe a little too much water.

Carina said...

Do you remember what that lovely red dirt did to our clothes (especially socks) back in the day?

Anonymous said...

We've got that same red clay in NC too, and it sure stains everything.